- Cost effective: 50% lower cost based on traditional data centers.
- The(MDC) represents the cutting-edge of efficient datacenter design with a PUE* of 1.06.
- Uses free-air cooling for most of the year.
- Supplemented with evaporative cooling for hot days.
- Advanced System Management.
- Tracks energy utilization, air temperature and humidity.
- Adjusts fan speeds, louver opening, and air recirculation.
*PUE = Total Power Entering Data Center / Power to Run Computer Infrastructure
MDC: Efficiency By Design
Two Measures of Computational Efficiency
- Exisitng NETL cluster average = 250
- HPCEE = 1300 5X IMPROVEMENT!
- Power Utilization Efficiency (PUE) Total Data Center Power / IT Power
- Current NETL aggregate = 1.6
- HPCEE = 1.06 WORLD CLASS PERFORMANCE!
Elements of the MDC
- Vestibule – power, power back-up, fire suppression and alarm equipment
- Mixing Chambers – Air Handling – filtration, humidification and fans
- Cold Aisle
- Computing Equipment
- Hot Aisle
NETL Morgantown, WV, July 2012
MDC Enclosure Arrives in Seven Shipments
Prefabricated power supply for the MDC being lifted into place.
- 350’ of 4180 volt cable feeds a stepdown transformer.
- The HPCEE has a 1 Megawatt power requirement.
- 5 times more efficient than current clusters (TFLOPS per watt).